There are 3 million saunas and a half million summer cottages in Finland.
Finnish cottage culture
Finnish people like to spend time in a simple way. Some cottages in the Archipelago have only one open space, no electricity and you will have to bring drinking water. The cabins on Björkholm have a living area with kitchen, separate bedrooms, a sauna and dry toilet. As well electricity, drinking water and a hot water shower. On our island you will spend your holiday in an equipped house, but in a simple way.
You will need to bring to the island:
– bed linen and towels (also available as an extra service)
– food and drinks, as we do not have a shop on the island
We provide in all the cabins matches, coffee filters, toilet paper and cleaning equipment. Items such as a kitchen paper roll, fire starters and charcoals for the grill are not provided.
What you will find in the cabin is sometimes related to the cottage culture. Normally guests are leaving items and even food behind. We do take all food that can go bad out of the cabin. Sugar, salt and pepper can be found for free in the kiosk.
We ask all our guests to leave the cabin as you find it on your arrival, which means:
– cleaning of the house according our house rules (also available as an extra service)
– washing the dishes and returning them to the cupboards
– recycling the waste and bringing the waste to the recycle area
– filling up the wood stock at the cabin for the next guests
Enjoy a carefree holiday and book one of our extra services.
Bed linen and towels
Bring your own bed linen or rent them from us for 10,- per person. If you book the bed linen before your arrival, we will make the beds for you ready. We ask 3,- for the rent of a towel.
Most of the cottage accommodations in the Archipelago ask a fee for the rent of bed linen. In case you are travelling for a longer period, we recommend to bring your own or buy a set of bed linen at a local store.
You can clean the cabin yourself. Please respect this cost-reducing service and clean according our house rules below. If you prefer a carefree departure, you can book a final cleaning for 50,- per cottage.
In case you choose to clean the house yourself, we ask you to do the following:
– cleaning the kitchen, such as the kitchen top, cupboards and the kitchen appliances, such as the coffee maker, fridge, stove and oven
– wiping all the table tops
– taking carpets out on the veranda, vacuum cleaning and wiping (wet) the floors and return carpets to their original places
– clearing the fireplaces (living area and sauna) from ashes into the ash bucket
– washing the sauna and inside toilet (inside toilet does not need to be emptied)
– collecting rented bed linen on top of one of the beds
A final cleaning will take up to one hour, as it includes the wiping of the floors.